Garmin Fenix 5S - White with Carrara White Band

November 09, 2019

Garmin Fenix 5S - White with Carrara White Band

Garmin Fenix 5S - White with Carrara White Band

At first, I felt overwhelmed that I spent this much money on this. The first couple of days were spent feeling guilty and ashamed, but man I love this thing. I have the white, champagne sapphire 5s. I am uploading a photo for any women out there interested in this. I have tiny hands and a tiny wrist so you can get an idea how it looks on the smallest of wrists. This version comes with the gray suede and the white strap so don't buy the additional strap that it says "frequently bought with" The battery life is amazing. I charged it 2 days ago, ran twice since then and I'm at 76% The champagne worried me because I was afraid it would look too much like yellow gold since I'm a white gold and sterling silver person. It's not gold at all. it's very subtle. The white is very feminine and pretty. I am glad I didn't go with the black.

2 more runs and a hike and I'm now at 52%. Love the battery life.

This is generally a watch designed for the uber-sports guy/girl, but I'm not. I do some open-water swimming and general workouts, but I'm no triathalon guy running 20 miles with sensors all over my body. I'm pretty much a lazy bum who sits in front of a computer all day. So why the fenix??

Well, my last watch was a pebble steel. This is truly the closest comparison. I've been through several, most recently the fitbit ionic (which I returned after a week).

Here are the priorities:

1. Always On. Sorry apple watch people and ionics, etc... If I've got a kid on one hip and a bag of groceries in the other, I don't want to be doing some weird flex/gyrate to get my hand in the right position to see the time. I want to glance down at my wrist that's already facing me and see the time. You'd think this isn't a big deal, but next time you look at your watch,bring it up level, close your eyes then roll it towards yourself and open your eyes when it's facing you. It's a slight pause but that's what you get with a watch that isn't LCD. Sure, it's pretty when it's on, but seriously? I want the time or the text, period.

2. Sunlight. The Fenix/Pebble use a color LCD screen. In the sun it's even more bright and crisp. At night, it's dark, but it has a back light, just like the apple watch or fitbit ionic does, where you have to roll it towards yourself, or pick it up just right (except it's much more adjustable). Like most people, however, I don't hang out in the dark all day. When I'm out and about, I want to see the time/texts

3. Readability. The Fenix/Pebble let you read the entire text or email. I don't know why, but the ionic didn't let me see anything but the date, part of the subject and who it was from. The fenix lets you see that and then read the rest if you want. (like the pebble).

4. Connectability. The Fenix/Pebble both maintain a solid connection. With the ionic, I had terrible trouble keeping it connected. I had several others that were even worse, but cost less than $100, so I can't compare.

5. Interface. The Fenix/Pebble are button nav. This is a 2 way street, but think carefully about your life here. I happen to swim, meaning my hands are wet and that isn't good for touch screens. I go to cold places where I have gloves on, and that isn't good for touch screens. It took some getting used to, but after a week or so, I could navigate around the Fenix even faster than the pebble. It's very snappy and you can reach various items from more than one direction. Pretty cool.

6. App Store. Both the Fenix and Pebble have custom apps made by both Garmin and independent programmers. It's not nearly as large a selection of programmers, but I think it's coming up. Ionic actually uses a javascript/typescript base for it's app, so my guess is that their app-store will grow quite faster, but I think the hardware itself has some problems that a software fix isn't going to help.

The Fenix has a bunch of cool gadgets that I'll never use, but it's cool to have them. If you bike or hike or do things where you need to track your GPS location and altitude and heartbeat.... the Fenix does it all. For me.... meh.

Oh.... and just a note again about the #1 issue of "always on". Look at the pics I have posted. It's me at work with my hand on a keyboard. If I'm coding away like the geek I am, and I get an email, I want to glace at my wrist and see if that's something I can ignore and just move on without even stopping typing. If you're a coder, you know exactly how debilitating it is to take your hands off your keyboard to check something or even switch over from whatever app you're coding in to your email..... even if it's just a few keystrokes.... you lose your flow.

I’ve owned this watch for about a month - the 42mm 5s with sapphire crystal.

I’ve owned a couple Garmin GPS watches over the years. This was the first time I wanted to look specifically for a watch that could be a “do everything” watch - constant HR monitoring, GPS enabled for running/hiking/biking, but also small and subtle enough that it could be worn with my daily office attire (suit + tie most days). I thought this smaller Fenix, marketed primarily toward women, would be perfect.

Functionally speaking, the watch mostly lived up to expectations. I was initially disappointed by the inaccuracy of the wrist-based HRM during activities. My first activity was a short, high intensity gym workout that left me gasping on the floor afterward, but the Fenix HRM clocked my max heart rate for the workout as about 119 bpm. Uh, what?

Afterward I paired the watch with a HRM strap from one of my old Garmin watches. This immediately improved the watch’s HR tracking accuracy during activities. I guess some part of me had hoped the watch could be a stand-alone HRM device for both daily use and activity-specific use, but it appears the wrist-based HRM is not up to the task for that. Bummer.

Otherwise, functionality has been very good. This watch syncs to GPS much faster than my previous Garmin watches. Steps counted seems much more accurate than with other fitness trackers I have used, which always seemed to overestimate pretty badly (e.g. telling me I’d walked several hundred steps overnight when in reality I may have gotten up and gone across the hall to use the bathroom once). The ability to customize watch faces is pretty cool - I customized two different faces that I like to switch between, including a simple, negative display analog face for business hours and an easy-to-read, positive digital display for the rest of the time.

My main disappointment with the Fenix 5s, which is fairly specific to my own intended use of the watch, is that despite being marketed as a “small” women’s watch, it is neither small nor sleek enough for me to wear with a suit. The steel case makes the watch heavy. The lugs are very long and very straight, presumably to accommodate the design of the quickfit straps. And the watch is fairly thick and blocky in profile. I knew the watch wasn’t going to serve the purpose I wanted because it was too chunky to slide under my shirt cuff and felt bulky and awkward to wear during the day. Don’t get me wrong - it is still on the small side compared to many fitness trackers. But if you think this is the fitness tracker that you can pass off as an ordinary wristwatch, think again.

Plus, while the quickfit strap is interesting, the number of straps available for this watch is pretty limited. I contacted Garmin to find they do not sell the buckles separately - so if I wanted to use one of Garmin’s available spare straps, I would either have to use a silver buckle with my all-black watch, or else install the black buckle that came with my black strap onto any other strap I might want to use. Kind of defeats the purpose of the “easy” quickfit system. Limited strap selection is not an issue with other Garmin watches that don’t use the new quickfit system, like the Forerunner 645, that can accept any generic 20mm watch strap with any generic buckle.

I ended up going to my local REI to try on alternatives and found that the Forerunner 645 actually served my purposes better. Despite having a wider diameter on paper (42.5mm vs the 42mm Fenix), the 645 is significantly thinner, significantly lighter, has much shorter lugs, and has a softer, domed bezel design, which all allow the watch to slide easily under my sleeve cuff while I’m at work. Functionally they are more or less the same watch. The Fenix has a few more features but they are mostly things I don’t use anyway.

What can this watch not do?! I bought it as a gift for my husband (who was appalled at the expense, to be honest) for our major anniversary. He has taken to working out again and I wanted to support that with a superb heart rate device that also had a rowing and running option. When I saw the GPS feature I knew it would make a superb option for those emergency situations...I also was looking for a HR device that had a metal band since the silicone ones give him a rash. Add on the tough sapphire option and I was sold. Yes, it's BIG. I tried like hell to understand the different options of Garmins but it was just ridiculous. Could I put the metal band on a less expensive model? Dunno. Does this fancy one come in a smaller case? Dunno. So I defaulted for the option that had all the features and the band and called it a day.

He LOVES it. Loves the data it kicks out, loves the battery length, loves the band options. And, if sent to Hurricane Harvey, will love the GPS option to aid in getting around an unknown area without a lot of street signs left. Is the watch worth the price? If it wasn't for the anniv date pending I would have waited a year to see if the price dropped. Is the warranty really brief for such an expensive item? Hell, yes. Ridiculously so. That is my only negative. Will I try to get an add-on warranty if I can? Yep. This is NOT the item for someone who just goofs around with working out and heart rate info. Any manufacturer will meet that intro-level need. But if you are looking for detailed data as well as SHTF compass. alt. gps data this is the one.

Garmin continues to impress me with the level of quality in the product the more I use it and get used to its features. The only reason this product is getting 4 stars is because of the price point; I am used to paying around $200 for fitness watches/trackers but I decided this time around to get something with more features and durability. I have been a Fitbit user since 2014 with the Flex, then Surge, then Blaze and I decided that I would switch to Garmin after I purchased my husband the Garmin fenix 5X. After tinkering around with his watch and the app interface, I decided to upgrade from my 1.5 year old Blaze due to sheer number of functions it couldn't perform and I was not happy with it anymore.

Once I got my watch, it was a hard adjustment, as with any brand-to-brand switch. In addition to the non-touch screen interaction, I had to familiarize myself with activity selection and start/stop buttons as well as data review functions. If you are making a drastic switch like I did, I recommend setting quite a bit of time aside to familiarize yourself with this watch as well as the Garmin Connect app. This watch is VERY customizable; there are so many things you can change to your liking that it is overwhelming (coming from a Fitbit user). I really like this aspect but it takes some getting used to. You can also customize the band; this particular package comes with a yellow band as a bonus. I do not have the intention of using this color, I actually ordered the turquoise band from Garmin.

The watch itself is very sturdy feeling and has some weight to it (rugged). I prefer the round face versus the square with my old Fitbit; it just looks better in my opinion. The 5 buttons on the side of the watch feel very good when you press them. You can choose whether or not to have haptic feedback when you press the buttons as well as a tone/chime; I have both enabled. The watch face is obviously customizable as well, you don't use the pre-loaded one like Fitbit, you have the ability to download more from the Garmin Connect app and even further customize it (colors and data displayed). With the same app, you can also download widgets and add them to your watch and the order they appear.

I got this watch just in time for a class I am now participating in; RIP = running improvement program. I have only ran with this watch 3 times since I got it about 1.5 weeks ago. The GPS is not exact, I was running 1.5-mile run test and it gave me my 1-mile time about 75m too soon. I am not too finicky with the distance difference. What really sent me over the moon was the VO2 max as well as the heart rate zones; not only will track this for you but based on this data it will suggest a rest time (usually 24-48 hours for me). I also loaded a yoga activity function on this watch as well; it tracked my heart rate as well as time spent in this activity. I have not tried the golfing function on this yet but I intend to use it whenever I get to the course in the springtime.

I recommend this watch to anyone; you don't need to be a hardcore gym rat or marathon runner to get use out of it. I am not super athletic by any means but I have been using fitness watches for a few years now. I also like to jog/run for hobby and as "job security" (military member) so the fact that this watch and the app can track every aspect of my workout and improvements is amazing. If you can afford it, I think it is worth the money.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Premium smaller-sized (42 mm) multisport GPS watch with Elevate wrist heart rate technology. Strap material silicone
  • Preloaded activity profiles for all of your sports and adventures, Battery life: up to 9 days in smartwatch mode (depending on settings), up to 14 hours in GPS mode or up to 35 hours in UltraTrac battery saver mode
  • Put key stats at your fingertips with the performance widget that shows the effects and progress of your workouts
  • Connected features include smart notifications, automatic uploads to Garmin Connect online fitness community and personalization through free watch faces and apps from our Connect IQ store
  • Outdoor sensors, including GPS and GLONASS satellite reception and 3-axis compass with gyroscope and barometric altimeter. Physical size : 1.6 X 1.6 X 0.6 inch

Description

For serious athletes and adventurers who want to do more, Not wear more -Fenix 5S is the perfect fit. It’s our premium multisport Watch that offers full-size performance in a lighter, sleeker, more compact design. So you can beat yesterday with advanced features such as wrist-based heart rate, built-in activity profiles, navigation functions, and performance metrics that measure the effectiveness of your workout. It’s one smart Sport watch you can comfortably wear anywhere -office or outback -to keep pace with your active lifestyle.



Certified refurbished is the way to go! This is the second smart watch I bought refurbished from Amazon and have had no issues or would have known it’s refurbished. This watch is amazing! I have been wearing it 24/7 for a few months. I have been using Polar watches (V800) for the last 9 years and never want to go back after using the Garmin fenix 5x. The metrics are ridiculously better. I have been able to run faster and longer by tracking cadence and looking at post run results. This is also a great looking watch with easy quick connect wrist band capabilities. You can use your old polar chest strap with the fenix 5x but the fenix 3 will not work with polar chest straps. Treat yourself.

Love this watch. I've had it for several months now and have worn it daily, including sleeping with it and sometimes in the shower after a workout. The features have been described to death in other good reviews, but here's my take on a few of my favorite/useful features:
* Waterproof - don't have to worry about wet or depth
* Durable - I don't go easy on my stuff and this is no exception. I mostly work at an office, but in my spare time I do lots of good labor such as chainsaw and tractor work, yard work, water rescues after hurricanes, lots of bouncing and banging around. There is a bit of sign of wear on an edge or two, but the glass is so far un-phased by my abuse. The included rubber band is very durable and comfortable, hasn't stretched at all.
* Classy - I wear this watch with holey shorts and t-shirts as well as daily to the office in slacks and button downs. Thinner than the previous model, my shirt cuff can go over the face with relative ease.
* Battery Life - Very good, have to charge only every couple of weeks, even when using GPS a good amount (running) . Charges fast.
* Running - Accurately and consistently measures heart rate, distance, exertion, etc. Accurately beeps at every mile I run. So nice to be able to do an accurate out and back, such as when I want to run 4 miles, just turn around at the second vibration. It tracks your exercise and pits you against other comparable athletes through their online portal. This really appeals to my very competitive side, overdoing it trying to beat some random Garmin user on the other side of the world by the end of the week
* General movement - this thing will tell you to get up and move if you've been sitting too long and then when you do, it praises you for clearing the Move Bar
* Sleeping - Accurately measures sleep patterns, including as soon as I fall asleep, when I momentarily wake up in the middle of the night, when I fall back asleep and wake up the next morning.
* Ability to change the watch face - I downloaded the face that works with my eyesight (think larger time numbers) and key info that I want to see.

I don't see any con's, other than it takes some time to become familiar with the features and how to get to them when you need them. Great watch.

Over the years I've owned other Garmin, Suunto, Seiko, and Casio (G shock) watches and was looking for a fitness tracker/everyday watch. I did a bunch of research and was a little reluctant to buy the Fenix 5 due to the price and some reviews saying that it was heavy and too big for an "average/normal" wrist.

Just so happened a friend of mine had a Fenix 3 and I asked to see it and tried it on. I immediately noticed how lightweight and comfortable the watch felt. It was then I decided to pull the trigger on the Fenix 5. I went to a local store and tried all 3 sizes. I initially thought the 5s would be great due to the smaller size but the silver ring around the watchface and smaller size did not appeal to me. I decided to go with the regular Fenix 5 size. I did not need the maps feature on the 5x and didn't want the larger watchface. I have just over an 8 inch wrist and although the 5x could fit on my wrist, I felt the 5 looked better on me. I went with the black since it looks better IMHO and sapphire since I know I can be hard on watches sometimes.

As for the features, the watch has a ton, more than what I would use. The fitness tracking functions are great and being able to customize the watch face to see what information I want to display is great. It was fairly accurate in tracking my heart rate during workouts. I do interval training so it's difficult to use just any one activity function (ie indoor treadmill, running etc) to track a full workout. Used it on a hike and it accurately tracked distance and trail points. The golf function was great and accurate as well. All were easy to use. Battery life is great, I set the GPS to turn on only when using certain apps and I can go a couple of weeks without charging it unless I'm golfing/hiking a few times that week. If not, then it's about 2-3 workouts a week and the battery lasts.

Minor complaints for me would be that the sleep tracker isn't that accurate, apparently I get more sleep than I know I do. Maybe since my heat rate slows a lot when watching tv before bed. Steps can sometimes be off. For example I did yard work/cleaning and ended up doing a lot of sweeping. My steps were off for that day. I'm not a hardcore step tracker so it doesn't bother me.

Overall I'm extremely glad I purchased this watch and I never take it, except to wipe it down after a workout.

If you have the money to spare or just want a higher quality gps watch the Fenix 5s sapphire is an excellent choice. So far it has withstood multiple dings on everything from metal to wood, has been submerged in the ocean for extended periods and withstood extreme tempreratures. The sapphire glass is definitely worth getting for a battery powered watch at this point, the inclusion of actual maps on only the 5x is a bit of a disappointment but for my wrist I am most comfortable with the 5s size. The quick change bands are nice but a bit on the expensive side for a piece of rubber. Overall I am pleased with the watch and it functionality.

Avid Triathlete writing review. Most functions work phenomenally. Unfortunately not yet able to link with Strava. And the swim functions are often difficult to pair with satellites, even then usually inaccurate after 400m. Otherwise flawless for a training watch. Doesn’t provide the ability for preset text replies but oh well. Road/trail bike/run great. HR monitoring is great, and displays are customizable to fit the workout intended. Would recommend to other athletes.

Get it Now

Share this :

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar