ADATA SU630 480GB 3D-NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD (ASU630SS-480GQ-R)

October 23, 2019

ADATA SU630 480GB 3D-NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD (ASU630SS-480GQ-R)

ADATA SU630 480GB 3D-NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD (ASU630SS-480GQ-R)

For the low price I paid for this drive the speeds are great for basic laptop or desktop use, obviously much better then using a traditional hard drive. Even the smallest size of this drive is very fast. The endurance is lower then other drives you can buy but shouldn't be a problem for normal laptop or desktop use just to browse the web / edit documents and other basic tasks for a couple years till you are going to replace the computer in question anyways.

This is one of the first QLC drives on the market. QLC stores 4 bits per cell versus previous TLC (3 bits per cell) , and MLC (2 bits per cell). Because of the difficulty from storing more bits per cell the amount of times it can reuse / rewrite over each area is decreased vs TLC / MLC, but modern solid state drives do a good job of leveling the wear across the whole drive so this shouldn't be an issue for normal use inside a laptop or a desktop for a couple of years, but this drive should not be used in a server nor in any situation where the whole drive gets frequently erased or rewritten.

There is a good short news article on anandtech about this specific drive that mentioned that it uses NAND from Intel which should be very high quality because Intel is already using their QLC NAND in drives it is selling to large enterprise customers. The drive uses a Maxio controller with pseudo-SLC caching which seemed to work well as the drive met its quoted write specs.

I purchased the 240gb drive which is the smallest size because i am only using this in a work laptop. Even though the 240gb version is the smallest size it is still very fast and as fast as the larger sizes. The drive did not warm up at all when running crystal diskmark for a few minutes. As you can see from the attached picture of the cystal diskmark results it read at 560MB/s and wrote at 478MB/s which is slightly faster read then in the specs, and almost as fast as sata3-600MB/s allows. I ran crystal diskmark an hour after installing windows 10, so the drive may have had time to fully refresh the cache.

I have an older tower PC circa 2008 that I decided recently to take on as a project to see if I could revive. After performing a clean OS install, as well as finding workable PCI & PCI-E sound, video, usb, and ethernet cards & drivers to install, I was well on my way. The last step I could think of to further enhance performance was to replace the old 320 GB HDD with a new SSD. I was quite pleased to see that I could get the 480 GB one was on sale for less than $50 on lightning deal. In spite of some initial difficulty cloning the HDD, as it took me 3 tries, I am now rocking and rolling having spent less than $100 on all PC components. Hoping the motherboard holds out for a few years longer, as I now have a pretty snappy 32 bit windows 10 home PC with 3 GB ram running as a Plex server, Office 360, working Skype with webcam, & blu ray drive. Still find my $119 Samsung model 3 Chromebook more useful and practical, but it's nice to have my media server up and running well again.

Replaced mechanical 7200 rpm drive with this SSD. Used Macrium Reflect to clone HDD image to SSD, and it all worked like a charm. Make sure you set drive letter to the same letter as the drive being replaced so all your shortcuts still work.

I'm using the 960GB as my gaming SSD on a MSI GT63 gaming laptop. I also purchased the 480GB to replace Plex server system drive. Can't go wrong upgrading to SSD at these prices.

Pros: reasonably inexpensive and a good value.

Cons: Not as fast as others

I purchased this drive to replace an ailing mechanical hard drive on a older system. It is easy to install but it came with no screws or mounting hardware. You really cannot expect that for what you are paying. The install went rather smoothly and all the software loaded up fine. I was expecting a much faster response from an SSD but as this is an economy drive you realistically can’t expect that for the price. This is a drive only packaging and it is no frills. As I said earlier I expected it to be a little faster than it was but it is still much faster than a mechanical hard drive.

I have three of these ADATA SSDs of the same size that I use to rotate clone backups of my C:\ System drive. Every month or two I will create a new clone using Macrium Reflect, install the fresh clone in the laptop, then label the old one and store it for the next time. This strategy always leave me with 2 good backup drives in the unfortunate event that anything ever happens (i.e. malware, viruses, ransomeware) to corrupt my Windows system drive. So far I have not had any problems with these ADATA drives, and you can't beat the price!


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Sequential reads/writes up to 520/450MB/s
  • LDPC (Low Density Parity Check) error correcting code to ensure data integrity
  • Lower power consumption and noise level
  • Free ADATA SSD File Management and Data migration software
  • 2 Year Warranty for a worry-free ownership

Description

Deliver Fast Capacity For Less
Unleash the value of massive, read-centric workloads quickly and easily with our new ADATA SU630 QLC SSD.
QLC NAND packs at least 33% more data in every cell compared to its predecessors. With the increase in per cell storage, we are able to lower total cost of ownership and making SSD a more affordable choice in PC storage.

SPECIFICATION

Capacity : 240GB / 480GB / 960GB
Form Factor : 2.5 Inch
Interface : SATA 6Gb/sec
Performance : Read 520MB/s , Write 450MB/s
* Performance may vary based on SSD capacity, host hardware and software, operating system, and other system variables.
MTBF : 1,500,000 Hours
Warranty : 2 Year



I bought this to revive an old HP Laptop with a Core 2 Duo and 4GB RAM. Yes, this laptop is about 10 years old.

The original hard drive was dead, so I picked this up as a quick replacement. To my surprise, this drive has exceeded expectations over the last few weeks. It also allows us to run Windows 10 home on this laptop with no issues.

Honestly, the value proposition for this drive is immense. You aren't going to get the fastest read/write speeds, but for the price, it does the job where needed.

Not much to say... Really woke up my fading laptop.

Slow 5400rpm hard drive on the left, This SSD on the right.

We will see how long it lasts, but being that this laptop just sees light use it should last longer than the laptop will!

I got 3 of these and put them in RAID0 to give me 1.30TB of useable space. In RAID0 I'm getting around 1GB read and write speeds. It's like a ghetto nvme drive! Goodbye mechanical drives, it was a long, slow ride.

The prices change on these things all the time, this was a price leader when I bought it. No complaints whatsoever. This thing is FAST, no reliability issues, I'd buy another.

This SSD is great for upgrading from an HDD(mechanical hard drive). I use this drive to host my Virtual machines or VM, I run about three different operating systems including the host OS which is windows 10, and the drive works great. This review is made 11 days in use the SSD I hope till is helpful.

Get it Now

Share this :

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar