Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal, 1HP

September 10, 2019

Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal, 1HP

Waste King L-8000 Garbage Disposal, 1HP

I've always had Insinkerator garbage disposals so I just didn't know any better but now I do. Simply put, this is truly the king of garbage disposals. The amount of power it has is ridiculous and it will tear through just about any food I've thrown at it. Now, I have been hesitant to test it with some tougher items (I've heard stories of people feeding it chicken and rib bones) because I was always taught to be careful what you put down the disposal (a cheap wimpy unit in a relative's shore house seizes up with unpopped corn kernels and their home unit clogged with shredded zucchini). I have given it some things like apple cores though with absolutely no problem. I never would have put an apple core down my old Insinkerator. This king eats the core in about 3-5 seconds, if that. Completely gone. The thing that absolutely astounds me about this unit though is how QUIET it is. It's almost ridiculous. My old one, and most everyone else's I've ever heard sounds like an electric chain saw. This one sounds like someone is humming. When people come over I run it form them just to show off how quiet it is. I know. I'm weird. Add to that a lifetime warranty and this thing just cannot be beat for the money. Google it yourself and you will see how many people agree that this is the best value disposal available. The cheap Insinkerators will normally run you about $80. It's not that much more to get one of these and the benefits for the small price increase are totally worth it. For 50% more you get way more than a 50% better disposal. Of course you could spend $350 on the Insinkerator Elite but is that one going to be 300% better. I doubt it. If you found this review helpful please click yes below.

This thing is exactly as everyone else has described. I, like many others, replaced an old ISE Badger with this unit, and it's heads and shoulders above in quality, function, quietness, etc. It grinds everything in seconds (as opposed to batting it around in the chamber for multiple cycles like the Badger). The original plumbing from the Badger lined right up and worked the first time. I'm very pleased with this item... although, there is one thing that I want to note; I read somewhere that if you use the EZ mount system that comes with it, you won't need plumber's putty - one can just use the gasket. This is true ONLY if using a flat lipped SS sink, and even then the rubber seal is optional as opposed to the putty (you can use only one, the putty or the seal with a SS sink, but not both). It's better said that you WILL need plumber's putty, and if you have a stainless steel sink, you have the option to use the thin rubber gasket (I'd use plumber's putty). Other than that minor detail (which made me take an unexpected run to our local hardware store), this unit is great. The one last thing I will say is around quietness. I've read some reviews that talk about how quiet or not quiet it is. I don't understand the desire to have an ultra-quiet garbage disposal. I mean, one needs to run water while the run the disposal, and a full-blast of the faucet going into a spinning basket creates a notable level of sound anyway, plus I want to be able to hear the load of the disposal so I can know when it's clear. This unit is by no means noisy, but I just don't see the desire to go ultra-quiet. Again, this big-boy Waste King is awesome.

I'll admit it. I had not heard of Waste King and was nervous about buying anything outside the top two brands (ISE and Kitchen Aid). The low price and positive reviews convinced me to give it a try. So far, so great! After nearly a year of use, the unit still works flawlessly and has never jammed.

At one point, I did have a leak that I eventually determined was due to improper installation. (This was by the same "professional" plumber who reversed the hot and cold supply lines when installing a kitchen faucet. He just didn't connect the drain hose properly.) While investigating the issue, I called Waste King to inquire about possible in-home service or warranty replacement. I was blown away by their level of customer service: no waiting on hold, just an immediate connection to a person who really knew the product and was unexpectedly diligent in resolving my problem -- which, as it turns out, wasn't even their fault.

Started having problems with my 13 year old Kenmore and had to stop using it. My research led me to this Waste King 8000 1hp. Amazon had a great price so I bit. If you'll notice my attached pic, the difference is astounding. The Kenmore was a mere 1/3 hp which I didn't know until I removed it and could read the label. No wonder I had problems and it wasn't all related to age! The cutting internals were all crusty and rusty and it was just a shrimpy little machine. I cook a lot and need this device to work properly.
First off, all internal cutting components are stainless steel, so no corroded cutting components here. This unit is very quiet and VERY powerful. This is literally a HumVee for my sink to replace that Yugo I had been using!
Some Installation tips:
I'm a very handy person, but this was an easy installation. My existing drain piping connected right up with no mods needed. My unit was hard-wired with Romex. I simply added a wall mount receptacle box, turned the breaker off, ran the Romex to the new box to a standard plug receptacle and simply plugged the Waste King into that. Much, much easier than trying to re-wire that stiff Romex to the bottom of the disposal!
In my opinion, don't use the supplied rubber drain gasket, use plumbers putty and be done with it. $2.50 for a small tub with plenty left over. The gasket is convenient and easy, but it wont be as good or durable of a seal as the putty is. You really don't want to have to redo the drain seal 4 years or so (or earlier) down the road. Leaks suck, so do it right the first time to avoid messy damage and forget it. My installation took less than 2 hours and 2 cocktails. I had all parts ready.
Here's what I recommend you buy:
-If hard-wired with Romex, get a single receptacle, wall mount box. A duplex outlet for 120v. Outlet cover plate. If you already have an outlet, you don't need these. Or, you can go luxury and install an air switch with a built in receptacle.
-Small tub of Plumbers Putty. Knead out a small ball, roll it out to a "snake" that fits end to end around the the drain flange against the drain spout and install from the sink side. No putty underneath, use the fiber gasket there under the large nut. Make sure the drain is tight, fully seated, then remove any excess putty.
Turn your breaker back on and you're in action. This is a very powerful and well thought out food disposal that should last you many years, even with heavy use!

I decided to take a chance on this L-8000 sink disposal unit due to the outstanding reviews. My previous unit was 1/2 horsepower and would jam if someone cut a loud fart. When it began to leak water from the motor impeller seal, I decided it had to go. Unfortunately, the first Waste King L-8000 I ordered came in a cardboard box with no styrofoam inside and had a crack in the outer plastic housing and the motor unit was bent sideways. I thought it was pretty silly to send a 5 kg unit in a box with no padding. So, I used Amazon's return/re-order service and unit #2 arrived three days later, also in a box with no padding. Fortunately, this unit was not cracked and I installed it following the included directions (and the video here at Amazon). It took me about 1 hour to remove my ole' unit and put in the L-8000. One thing I might say is that using some silicon sealant around the rubber o-ring that joins the drain pipe to the side of the Waste King is probably a good idea.

I then tested out the L-8000 on ice cubes, vegetables and eventually chicken bones. There is a rude neighbor who lives next door with loud dogs that he releases at 6 AM in the morning (WTF is he thinking), and I would like to see if the L-8000 could process him, .... but I digress. All items inserted so far, got shredded with no problems and the sound was about the same as my old unit (which is neither quiet nor loud). I am only on my first week with the unit, so I will continue to update this review as the months (and hopefully, years) pass. I really like the Easy Mount setup and I am glad the power cord is already included and attached. That said, the plastic housing of the unit does not seem held on very tightly and I wish they had a better system to mount with the drain pipe.

So far, things are looking good and I sure hope they start mailing these units in a box with a bunch of padding. 4 stars for now.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • HIGH-SPEED MOTOR: The 1 HP, 2800 RPM (115v) permanent magnet motor is sound-insulated and jams less
  • EASY INSTALLATION AND CLEANING: EZ Mount for a quick and easy kitchen sink installation, removable splashguard for easy cleaning
  • LIFETIME PROTECTION: Lifetime Limited In-Home Warranty.
  • NO ELECTRICAL EXPERTISE NEEDED: Pre-installed power cord, no electrical work required.
  • DURABILITY: Compact and lightweight garbage disposer with all stainless steel grind components.
  • CONTINUOUS FEED DISPOSAL: Activated by a wall switch, the disposal quickly grinds food waste continuously as it runs
  • NOTE FROM THE MANUFACTURER: Customers may receive product with the original brand logo or updated logo and packaging.

Description

Waste King L-8000: 1 horsepower garbage disposal with pre-installed power cord and sound insulation. Energy efficient permanent magnet motor and stainless steel swivel impellers reduce jamming. Fast and easy to install with a removable splashguard that is easy to clean and replace. Rust and corrosion-proof glass-filled nylon grind chamber and drain housing with stainless steel grinding components. Continuous feed technology. Front-mounted reset button for easy use. Safe to use with properly-sized septic tanks. Has dishwasher hookup.



So I know next to nothing about buying a garbage disposal, for the past ten years I’ve lived in huge cities and haven’t had any room (or necessity for that matter) to purchase one. Having recently bought a house, all that has changed. From dishwasher to washer to dryer to garbage disposal, I’m having to educate myself about them and purchase them with informed decision making skills. Yikes.

With the garbage disposal shopping, I quickly learned that the big brands are Waste King and Sinkerator and that those were the two best places to start. After going over several models and two trips to two separate best buys (who, by the way, really need to amp up their customer service model) I cheated and had my mom choose one for me. Sue me. So she chose this particular brand, and wow—it works really well, I can’t believe how easy it makes my life. I can put bones, and tough food products down the disposal, and it makes cooking really simple. Go figure.

Update: As an aside, I also learned from my research that the best way to clean my disposal is to use citric acid. Having previously had no idea what citric acid was used for, I decided to order some from Amazon, going with the brand my sister uses: Citric Acid Powder - Ultra Fine Pure Powdered Crystals - Natural Preservative Food Grade Quality (16 oz) and gave it a whirl after 3 months of using my disposal. I let the citric acid sit with some water in the disposal for about ten minutes, and then I let it run for a solid 2 minutes. I repeated the procedure a few times and after about 30 minutes—wow, all the leftover gunk and food was flushed out of the disposal, leaving it clean with a very mild citrus scent. I feel like I’m becoming a real DIY at home kind of guy.

After going to Lowes and Home Depot and scouring the internet I came upon this gem. The garbage disposals at Lowe's and Home Depot comparable to this one were exponentially more expensive and didn't come with the Lifetime Warranty that Waste King has on their disposals. I've read review after review on the Insinkerator brand that Lowe's and Home Depot both sale and found myself being almost mad at the cost of the disposals and their poor ratings. That being said, I can say nothing but good things about the Waste King Legend Series 1HP Continuous Feed Disposal. It performs extremely well and is very quiet. The only thing I can say that bothered me was the install. I think I said every curse word in existence while trying to get the ring to seat properly to hold it in place. Once that was over and done with you will be very pleased with your purchase. There has to be a better way to install these but for the money and the warranty this brand is hands down the best garbage disposal on the market.

Just installed my replacement Waste King L-8000. As described very easy to install after having watched a couple of youtube videos. Installation took about 30 minutes! Everything I needed was in the box (except tools of course). Only issue was I had to install the unit with the same orientation as the unit I replaced because of the existing pipe fittings. (see photo) I would have preferred the unit to face forward but decided it was not worth the time and expense of buying more piping. I blame the person who just slapped the original in there as quick and as fast as they could when they built my condo. In any case it's under the sink so you don't see it any ways. My only concern is the sink ring is plastic so I'll have to be careful not to scrub it with anything course like Comet or an abrasive sponge. This piece should be stainless steel in my thinking. I'll have to see how it performs and I'll update review but for now I couldn't be happier with it and with a lifetime warranty, it's a no-brainer. Got it for a great price as well from Amazon.

Scenario: I currently have an ISE Evolution Compact 3/4hp, My mother had an ISE Badger 333.

My mothers ISE Badger, which is one of the worst disposals on the market today save for maybe just getting a bucket that you can just mash up your food with a hammer whilst shaking a glass jar full of marbles for ambiance. I decided it was time for it to be replaced, since it was 2 years old and nobody was willing to use it anymore.

An Amazon gold box deal had me purchasing this L8000 at a great price so I figured it was worth a shot.

Construction: The inlet is smaller than my ISE, besides that everything is very well made and very well sealed.

Installation: Don't buy the adapter. Remove your old disposal and flange, this give you a chance to clean everything up and do it right form the beginning. If you do that, you will only need whats in the Waste King box. Installation time took ~20-30 minutes, comparable to my ISE Evolution

Running: This thing will eat anything you can put down there. We decided it was a good time to clean out the fridge so instead of the garbage, everything went in the disposal and it made super fast work of everything, comparable to my ISE Evolution.

Sound: This is the only thing I was concerned about. Yes it is louder, but not all related to volume, its a different tone/pitch. Nothing that makes you raise your voice if talking to someone at the sink when you turn it on but it is louder than the quietest ISE - but it is nearly double the RPM.

Bottom line, If I would have never bought my ISE Evolution I would own this unit instead. The Evolution is quieter and has given me a few years of solid service with no signs of failure. I personally think the 2 choices for disposals are the ISE Evolution Compact or the WK L8000. Sound tone being the key differentiation and coupled with the price of the WK being 3x less than the ISE the value is on the WK side.

I can't say enough about how great this garbage disposal is. It's powerful and not too loud. I upgraded from a 1/3 HP unit and the difference is immediately noticeable. Did I mention that it's quiet? When I first turned it on, I actually thought I it wasn't working, that's how quiet it is.

I installed this myself, removing a 20 year-old 3-bolt system. I definitely recommend against getting the 3 bolt adapter. I bit the bullet and took the extra time and effort to remove the 3-bolt installation and I'm glad I did, since it gives me a little extra space below the disposal.

ONE IMPORTANT THING! Write down the serial number (located on the bottom of the unit) BEFORE installing it. Trust me, it will make your life easier. You need the serial number for the warranty.

Get it Now

Share this :

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar