Insect Lore Deluxe Butterfly Garden Gift Set with Live Cup of Caterpillars Habitat

November 09, 2019

Insect Lore Deluxe Butterfly Garden Gift Set with Live Cup of Caterpillars Habitat

Insect Lore Deluxe Butterfly Garden Gift Set with Live Cup of Caterpillars Habitat

 I ordered this on Prime Day expecting to receive the housing kit and send off for the caterpillars when the weather cooled down a bit. When I read reviews indicating the worms would ship with the kit, I tried to cancel my order, but it was too late.

I received my caterpillars, and at first it looked like I might only have one or two survivors. They were all bigger than I expected them to be.

This is day four of having them, and all the caterpillars have moved to the top of the cup. Four are hanging in the ‘J’ shape, preparing to pupate. The fifth keeps trying to hang upside down like the others, but can’t seem to find a place on the lid to do so, as the others strike him/her if she gets too close to them. I wish the cup were wider so they could spread out. I can’t open it and offer this last guy more room to hang without disturbing all the others and? Possibly killing them? It’s been fun to watch them grow, but this part is getting stressful :-)

My five-year-old is almost as amazed by the caterpillars as I am. My three-year-old couldn’t care less. The included stickers and butterfly spinner are a nice touch, and great for distracting kids when they get antsy and want to grab the cup. Butterfly spinner isn’t particularly sturdy though, and was broken in about half an hour. I’ll update this review after seeing how these guys fare.

Edit to give a full five stars. All caterpillars have chrysalized (sp?) and I happened to be watching when the last one did it. Very cool. I also discovered there were extra rubber bands to easily repair the spinning butterfly toy. The stickers included are 3D and over all my kids couldn’t be happier.

Today is the day we’ll move them to their net and wait to see the butterflies emerge. The instructions say I need to remove all the silk strands from around each chrysalis, but they aren’t specific about how to do that. I think it’s bad for them to come in contact with the oils on our skin? I guess I’ll wear a winter glove.

Edit again: I ended up wearing an old sock on my hand to gently remove the silk strands from each one. Four days later, we woke up to find two of the butterflies had already emerged. This video shows the third one emerging and the first two getting ready to fly. I can’t think of the last time my 5yo has been this excited. I think the product could be improved just a little by making the caterpillar cup shorter and wider. Then they’d have room to spread out going into and out of the chrysalis, but on the whole this purchase has been outstanding.

Love this! We had a 100% success rate with our caterpillars, today the fifth butterfly emerged. I have taken a butterfly out from time to time and enjoyed having it sit on my finger. After about a day they got better with their wings and we set the first bunch free two days after they emerged. They seem to emerge from their chrysalides very fast. Three emerged the same day and we were barely able to catch one in the process of emerging. I did notice a couple signs, in my opinion, that one is on the verge of emerging: it seems the chrysalide darkens very much and you soon see through it to see the spots on the wings. That is a good sign it will be emerging within minutes almost. I will be saving my kit to do this again. I would definitely recommend this brand. Thank you!

I never write a review but wanted to post that when we received our kit I was certain that all but one of our caterpillars was dead. With research learned that the caterpillars kind of go into almost a stunned state during travel. After 24 hours it was certain that all 5 were alive. It is now five days since we received them and we love watching our active little critters. They are fascinating and have engaged the whole family: ages 4 to 42.

I bought these for our homeschool science project during our animals unit. After reading reviews, I expected only 2-3 caterpillars to survive. But we were sent 6, and all 6 have made it! I was really surprised at how small the caterpillars were. But they grew quite large! I was also surprised at how much silk they make and how many times they shed their exoskeleton. We are in the chrysalis phase right now, which is boring to watch, but still very full of excitement because we know what's coming. Even my 2 year old enjoys watching these little guys. Highly recommended! We will definitely be doing this again!

I bought this Butterfly Garden kit for my two toddlers who are 2 and 4 years old. We have watched youtube videos of the Life Cycle of a butterfly and thought that this would be neat to see in real life. We received the caterpillars 14 days ago and they were all alive. We were so excited because it was around 10 degrees they came in the mail. We left them in their box for an hour as the instructions stated. It has been fascinating to watch these caterpillars grow from a 1/2 inch to about 2 inches and now they are in the chrysalis stage (as of last night). My 4 year old and I were watching them shed their exoskeleton. This is a truly amazing experience and wonderful for kids to see in person. We are looking forward to placing them in their net this weekend. The instructions are very helpful and they provide everything you need in the kit. I will be purchasing more caterpillars in the future. Once you purchase the kit, you only need to purchase a cup of caterpillars (5) and re-use the net. You may need to purchase more food.

I think this is a great way to show the life cycle of a butterfly to toddlers. My 2 year old shows interest but just wants to touch the caterpillars. I think this is perfect for kids who are 4 and older.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • New butterfly feeding kit with 5 live baby caterpillars and nutritious food
  • Butterfly habitat measuring 12 inches tall and 6 inches wide
  • Deluxe Chrysalis station, 3D butterfly stickers, and butterfly wind-up
  • IMPORTANT NOTE! Please postpone your live order if daytime temperatures in your area are below 55 degrees or above 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Your caterpillars may not survive their journey to you in extreme heat or cold.
  • STEM.org Authenticated butterfly kit can help cultivate an interest in STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics)

Description

Watching the butterfly life cycle up close is more fun than ever with the butterfly garden gift set with live cup of caterpillars. Exciting butterfly-themed bonus items make this butterfly-raising kit The perfect gift! Feed and observe your very own beautiful butterflies for a few days before releasing them into the Wild! The entire transformation takes about three weeks, depending on the temperature and humidity in your area. There is no need to feed your caterpillars; all the nutritious food they require to become beautiful butterflies is included in their cozy cup. The adorable flower-shaped butterfly feeder doubles as a handy cup holder while you watch the incredible growth of your caterpillars. Once your caterpillars become chrysalides, it's time to move them to their airy mesh habitat - perfect for butterfly viewing! Use the feeding pipette to place delicious sugar water, or nectar, on the sponge in the butterfly feeder; your butterflies will thank you! Our deluxe Chrysalis station is a cute and handy way to hang your chrysalides while you wait for your butterflies to emerge. When it's time to move your chrysalides from the cup, Simply place the entire lid (with hanging chrysalides) into the slot in the plastic log - then wait for the magical transformation! Please note: this kit contains live insects. * butterfly wind-up and 3D butterfly stickers colors and styles may vary. Shipping: live caterpillars are shipped to destinations within the continental USA and Alaska. We cannot ship live caterpillars to Hawaii.

important note! Please postpone your live order if daytime temperatures in your area are below 55 degrees or above 85 degrees Fahrenheit. Your caterpillars may not survive their journey to you in extreme heat or cold.


Loved this product. My boyfriend and I are photographers and we wanted the opportunity to work with butterflies. This kit served our needs amazingly well. It was so much fun raising our little subjects and then setting them free. I haven't seen them since release so I'm hoping they happily fluttered onward.

We did this in June and July in Colorado and the caterpillars all arrived alive. The majority of them started moving around almost immediately. One was caught in the silk as described in other reviews but it woke up and started moving around within 24 hours.

The design of the butterfly cage holder thing is kind of poor. I had two butterflies that were reluctant to leave it and the fact that the lid doesn't unzip all the way made it more difficult to get them out. Ultimately, I had them crawl on a piece of clean paper towel and was able to lift them out and place them on the flowers in my garden unharmed. They stayed for about an hour before they flew away.

The only other thing that I will say is that putting the container anywhere near where you eat is a mistake. My little plastic jar got really, really full of caterpillar poop. I made the mistake of putting it in the kitchen because I wanted to look at it frequently. I ended up looking at a jar full of poop while I was trying to eat. It was not appetizing at all and I was afraid to move it as I didn't want to disturb the caterpillars. Find a safe spot where you can look at them frequently but still eat in peace. Otherwise, enjoy!

 I'll admit I was skeptical when ordering living caterpillars through the mail, especially when five of the tiniest caterpillars arrived. They weren't moving and looked dead (to my un-knowledgeable eye) but the materials said they just needed to adjust and boy, did they ever! In just one week they ate so much, were so active and grew more than I thought possible in just a week! This purchase was for my 4 and 6 year old boys, but I think I got just as much fun out of it as they did! Sure enough, all five tiny caterpillars turned into five chrysalis and then just a week later we have five butterflies!! This was an amazing process and I love the fact that you sell just the caterpillars (with cup and food) so we can do this every year. Best Amazing purchase ever!

This was such a fabulous investment with my kids! We were shocked how quickly our caterpillars grew. 4/5 caterpillars made it to the butterfly stage (One was knocked down by another caterpillar just after it transformed into the chrysalis stage, and that might have damaged it). It was all inclusive and very easy to do. It was just as fun for me to watch the transformation as it was for my children!!!

It also says this in the description, but definitely make sure you buy it at a time of year where you have a chance to release the butterflies outside in the right temperatures. That was a great part of the experience as well!

Wow! My 6 year old and 2 year old really enjoyed watching the caterpillars grow and turn into butterflies. We received the 5 caterpillars and at first you may think one or some are dead, but just give them a little bit of time to perk up after a rough trip. All 5 of our caterpillars were fine and successfully grew and made their chrysalis and turned into butterflies! Wonderful kit.
Yes, it comes with the butterflies- you do not need to send away for them.

My 3 year old son had done something like this at school and kept talking about it so I wanted to 'grow' our own butterflies at home. This full kit comes with everything you need and explains the steps out very easily. I know people had said that not all your caterpillars will make it but for us they all did. It was amazing to watch my son get up and check them everyday, see if they were going to move on to the next stage. He would be excited to tell me and show me where they were in their life cycle. He loved when we got to the point to release them back to their home outside and watch them fly away. Awesome purchase!

Get it Now

Share this :

Previous
Next Post »
0 Komentar